Future Simple Tense – Will Won’t: Whiteboard Animation (English / ESL Video)
Future Simple Tense – Will / Won’t: Whiteboard Animation (English / ESL Video)
Synopsis of English / ESL Video
Use this creative ESL whiteboard animation video to teach future simple tense (will / won’t) to pre-intermediate learners in a fun & engaging manner!
Title of English / ESL Video
Target English Grammar
Future simple tense (will / won’t)
Also known as: the simple future.
*be going to is not explained in this video.
Student Proficiency Level
Pre-intermediate level grammar
– Play the video in class after delivering a warm-up activity first.
– Pause the video whenever the narrator asks students a question to give students time to answer. For example, after elicitations and concept checking questions (CCQs).
Summary of English Grammar: Future Simple Tense – Will / Won’t
Approximate chronological order:
Functions and Uses
– Promises: I will love you forever.
– Offers: I‘ll help you eat it!
– Spontaneous or quick decisions: I‘ll get help…
– Spontaneous threats: I‘ll make you sorry!
– Predictions about the future: In the future… you will die!
Contractions: I’ll, you’ll, we’ll…
Negative: will not
– Use contractions when speaking.
Summary of Functions and Uses
Other Important Information: will and won’t vs. be going to
The simple future tense comes in two variations:
– Will and won’t
– be going to
These two variations can have different meanings and cannot always be used interchangeably. be going to is used for talking about future plans and also for making predictions. While will and won’t can also be used to make predictions, we do not use them to talk about future plans. Hence, only in the case of making predictions, may we use will and won’t and be going to interchangeably. Take for example:
Speaker A: Can you wash the car today?
Speaker B: I’ll do it tomorrow.
Speaker B did not plan on washing the car tomorrow. Rather, it was a spontaneous decision caused by speaker A’s request. Had speaker B said I’m going to do it tomorrow, it would suggest that speaker B already planned on washing the car tomorrow prior to speaker A asking.
This video only focuses on will and won’t. We will explore be going to in other videos.
*** English / ESL Video: No Music Version ***